Tuesday, August 10, 2010

cross this one off the list

I asked Dan to describe his fondness of pickles. He responded, "I wouldn't describe it as a fondness. I would never go looking for a pickle."

Needless to say at this point, but my taste-testing judge will be a hard one to win over...

I made a lot of promises with these pickles that I've been talking about making for months now. The day has come. I used the super simple 5-minute dill pickle recipe. The photograph in the magazine was lovely, and they looked delicious. Who knows though, they could be airbrushed Styrofoam logs. Uh oh, I hope that's not the case. I did have to do some improvisation as the liquid didn't fill both containers sufficiently. Hope that's not a bad omen.

We'll see...

IMG_5879

The cucumbers, quartered and ready for their new lives as pickles.

IMG_5885
Now we wait. It says they'll be ready in 24 hours. We. Shall. See.

TO BE CONTINUED...


UPDATE:


THESE PICKLES WERE DELICIOUS! Crispy, crunchy, dill-y goodness! Thank you, Dear Jessica, for reminding me to post the recipe!

Since they turned out, I think you should try them too!

ALMOST HANDS-FREE PICKLES (via Real Simple)

Makes 16 spears Hands-On Time: 5 minutes!


Ingredients


* 4 Kirby cucumbers (about 1 pound), quartered lengthwise
* 3/4 cup white wine vinegar
* 1/4 small sweet onion (such as Vidalia or Walla Walla), thinly sliced
* 2 cloves garlic, smashed
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 1 teaspoon dill seed (and I threw in some fresh dill too!)
* 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
* 1 bay leaf
* kosher salt


Directions


1. Place the cucumbers in a 1-quart jar or some other container with a tight- fitting lid.

2. In a bowl, combine the vinegar, onion, garlic, sugar, dill seed, peppercorns, bay leaf, 2 teaspoons salt, and ¾ cup hot tap water. Stir until the sugar dissolves.

3. Pour the vinegar mixture into the jar with the cucumbers, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 day before serving. The pickles will last up to 1 week.

2 comments:

Longo said...

BUT HOW DID THE PICKLES TURN OUT??////////

Longo said...

yay! thanks, i couldn't stop wondering. :) apparently allen made some recently, but i haven't gotten to have any. maybe i will just make my own!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails