Friday, October 30, 2009
Get in the Halloween spirit!
Witch Finger Cookies
These cookies are delicious! I saw them on "The View From the Bay" and I had to make them! It took me a few batches to get the right look because they really plump up after they've been in the oven. My first batch looked amazing going into the oven, but when they came out they looked like fingers from crazy obese witches. My second batch I overcompensated for the knuckle, so they looked kind of weird. The third batch came out just right. So, a word to those who will make these (and my future self): Make them skinnier than you think they should be, and make the knuckle barely wider than the rest of the finger!
1 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 3/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c. whole almonds
*red food coloring (not a must)
*red frosting (not a must)
1. In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients (not sugar).
2. In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, egg, almond and vanilla extract, and then incorporate the dry ingredients.
3. Refrigerate for 30 min. and preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
4. If you have red food coloring, mix it in with some water and paint the almonds, which are going to be the finger nails!
5. You may need to lightly grease your cookie sheet, I used a nonstick sheet.
6. Roll heaping teaspoons into finger shapes. BE SURE THEY ARE NOT TOO BIG! Use a knife to make the marks in the knuckle.
7. Bake for 20 - 25 min.
8. For a truely gruesome effect, dip the ends of the fingers into red frosting!