Monday, August 28, 2006

we've got secret plans. i've already said too much.

There was no television or musical entertainment this afternoon. Just the sound of rain on leaves and softly drumming the street while I sat on the couch next to my favorite lamp, with a perfect cup of tea and the beginnings of a great book. It was the sort of rain that fell straight down so I could keep the windows open and have all the sounds and smells penetrate the indoors. I especially like the way cars sound as their wheels cut through the rain as they pass by. I am still in awe of the perfect cup of Egyptian camomille and peppermint loose leaf tea that I enjoyed.

I'd venture to say this moment could top my "Best of summer '06" list. In my description of today I can't communicate the pureness and perfection I experienced. In this brief hour I was so content--more than content, really. I didn't want to be anywhere else and I wasn't thinking about anything other than the cup of tea, the rain, and the warm blanket. As I write this with such admiration for the hour of my life between 4 o'clock and 5 this afternoon I realize moments like this in my life are rare. I am always thinking, worrying, planning, wishing to be in another place, thinking about memories and people and places I've been, all while never really being fully in the moment I am living. I fell in love with the brevity, spontanaity and perfection of this afternoon. While it's something that should be occasional in order to maintain that magical feel, I want to experience moments like this on a more regular basis. So here I am, crossing my fingers for more perfect and spontaneous moments where I am entertained by a rich contentedness and a nothing short of an 'in the moment' mindset.

now I find myself thinking about us here. and thinking about us there. i'm so glad we're in this together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am looking for that moment. I will try the tea.

Diddy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails